Dates are a very sweet fruit, with around 80% sugar content. That’s why this fruit is the star of this variation of BBQ sauce for your pizza! We also add paprika, and cayenne pepper, and take out the Worcestershire sauce and reduce the amount of vinegar. The result is a sauce that’s sweet and spicy at once. It’ll pack quite a punch!
Remember to use the best kind of sauce with your recipe. A sauce like this one does wonders with pizza recipes that include meat. Come on, give it a try!
Date BBQ Sauce
- 2 ounces pitted dates
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1/3 bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- Hot sauce
- Let the dates soak in warm water for fifteen minutes. While you wait for the dates to be done, you could work on the onion!
- Fry the chopped onion with some oil in a frying pan for ten minutes, don’t let the onion burn.
- Add the brown sugar to the frying pan. Fry the onion for two minutes more, and use a spoon to mix together the sugar and the onion. As before, don’t let the onion burn.
- Add the tomato paste into the frying pan, and mix together with the onion. Once you ensured the onion is amidst the tomato paste, let the mixture cook for two minutes more.
- Take the dates out of the water and pass them onto the food processor. Mince them until you get a paste. Add this paste to the sauce in the frying pan.
- Now reduce the fire to its lowest setting and add the rest of the ingredients. Make sure all the ingredients are incorporated into the sauce, the different sauces and spices used shouldn't be visible, other than the onion and the tomato paste.
- To add the hot sauce, let a drop or two fall onto the paste. Mix together, then taste it. Keep adding hot sauce until you get the desired level of spiciness.