When it’s about making pizza, you have to be creative. Try different kinds of sauce and see how it affects the recipe! You may even discover a new kind of flavor you didn’t think you’d like. For starters, try this marinara sauce, it’s good.
Why is it called marinara sauce? It’s said it’s because this kind of sauce was brought by mariners into Naples, straight from America. Whether this factoid is true or not doesn’t change how good it is!
What gives the marinara its flavor is the combination of ingredients in it. With this recipe you’ll get a thick and flavorful sauce, no doubt about it. Get those tomatoes and start cooking!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 7 cups tomatoes crushed
- 2 tsp oregano and basil
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the oil in the saucepan, and add the onion and garlic. Stir everything for five minutes, make sure it doesn't burn.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, and basil to the mixture. Stir for a minute more, until the ingredients are incorporated into the sauce.
- Let the sauce simmer for twenty minutes. It's important the sauce isn't watery, as otherwise it'll soak the dough. You need a sauce that can be spread over the dough.
- Add sugar, salt, and pepper.
- You can store this sauce for a max of four days, as long as you put it into a container and cover it. Generally it's recommended you let it chill before you use it on the pizza dough.