The most basic ingredient of any dough is its flour. If you change the flour, the flavor and consistency of the dough will also change. Trying other types of crusts can be fun! To encourage you to try something different, here’s an interesting recipe. It’s a dough made with spelt flour.
Spelt is generally considered to be healthier than normal flour, thanks to the variety of wheat it comes from. The end result of this recipe is healthier than other types of dough, it’s worth a try! Use this spelt pizza dough to make a healthier pizza.
Spelt Pizza Dough
- 3 ½ cup spelt flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 spoonful salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh yeast
- 1 spoonful olive oil
- Make sure the water is warm. Once it is, dissolve the yeast in the water, mixing well.
- In a bowl mix the flour, the oil and the water, mixing until the dough has a nice consistency, not too wet, not too dry.
- Coat your hands and a flat surface with flour, put the dough on it and start kneading. Knead until the dough is flexible. If the dough sticks to your fingers or to the flat surface, coat with a bit more of flour again.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a thin cloth or similar, and leave it for at least one hour until it’s roughly twice as large as before.
- Once it has grown, split the dough in as many portions as you need, if you’re going to use it soon. If not, store in the freezer, wrapped with plastic wrap.