You may know already pesto is a sauce mainly composed of herbs and cheese. It’s pretty good and goes great with pizzas featuring vegetables. There are a few varieties to pesto, though, and this is one of them. Instead of using cheese, this recipe uses spinach to make spinach pesto!
As the name indicates, spinach is the main ingredient, as well as basil — indispensable in any pesto recipe. There are also nuts and almonds, and lemon juice. Overall it’s a specialized sauce that can be used for more than just pizza, so without further ado, let’s check the recipe!
- Food processor / Blender
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup walnuts large pieces
- 1/2 cup almonds large pieces
- Olive oil
- Clean the spinach thoroughly. Make sure there's no dirt or any other similar elements on the leaves. Cut the spinach leaves into smaller pieces, small enough to fit into the blender or food processor.
- Put the spinach, basil, nuts, almonds, garlic, lemon juice, and some olive oil in the food processor. Process the ingredients until you have a wet, dense paste.
- Taste the paste and season with salt and pepper.
- Keep the pesto in the fridge until it's time to apply it on the dough.