It’s impossible to call a single recipe ‘the vegan pizza’. There are countless variations, countless combinations of ingredients that could be used. Not only that, the dough and the tomato sauce used can vary too. Some especially creative people can make versions of ‘cheese’ out of ingredients you wouldn’t expect, and use them on pizza. As you can see, the possibilities are endless!
The recipe you’ll read now is one of the many possibilities there are. Its main ingredient is potato, marinated and being the main source of flavor. Other ingredients include mushrooms and bell peppers, a combination that’s sure to prove savory and pleasant.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different ingredients, that’s the joy of the vegetarian pizza: despite not using meat at all, every recipe is different from each other!
- 1 cup tomato pizza sauce
- 2 cups potatoes thinly sliced
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- ½ cup black olives sliced
- 1 garlic clove pulverized
- Spices to taste (for this recipe, nutmeg, cayenne and pepper will be used)
- Oregano for garnishing
- PREPARATIONS: Slice the potatoes in thin slices and put them in a bowl. Coat them with a mixture of spices, garlic and pizza sauce. Let the potatoes alone for one hour.
- Preheat the oven on 500 °F
- Get the vegetables ready. Clean the mushrooms and slice them. Dice the bell peppers and the onion. Take the seeds out of the olives.
- Slice the olives into thick slices.
- Extend the tomato sauce over the dough, making sure to cover as much dough as possible.
- Add the potatoes as a layer, trying not to overlay one slice over another. The idea is to use the potatoes as a replacement for the cheese, so covering the entirety of the dough is the aim.
- Add the bell peppers, the onion, the mushroom and the olives, distributing them over the pizzat.
- Sprinkle everything with oregano, to taste.
- Bake for ten minutes.